Monday, May 17, 2010

The decline of an "Old Reliable"

It is with a heavy and sincere sense of loss that I report that my truck might have seen its last days today. I was with Jamie on our way back from running errands when suddenly while climbing a hill something changed from within "ol Betsy". I immediately knew that something was wrong because the normal engine noise turned into a dull metal-on-metal grinding sound accompanied by a low whooshing noise which can only be air escaping past parts that normally don't allow such freedom.


I coaxed her up the hill and pulled off on the first opportune spot on the side of the road and sat there and turned the engine on one last time and turned it off and sat there and sat there...and sat there. I finally called a tow truck. Our bank, USAA sent one over at no charge to us. And we sat there. Our good friend from church, Josh, came over from home and kept us company until the tow truck arrived and hoisted my disabled friend onto its giant gurney bed. We followed in Josh's car as my great truck was being ferried to Aamco Transmissions in downtown Everett. It is 7:04pm now..almost 3 hours have passed since this event. All I can do is wait as the mechanics have gone home for the night. Betsy is in the hospital. I can only pray that they will quickly efficiently diagnose the nature of the engine trouble. I have some possibilities in mind already. One is certain. I have a rear differental leak. I noticed this as Betsy was being towed. The second is a possibility. I possibly lost a piston ring which seals the combustion chamber from oil and allows air to be compressed for ignition. This ring failure would explain the grinding and air whooshing past. The third possibility is one that I cringe at. I possibly lost one of the connecting rods which attaches the piston to the crankshaft. That is not desirable because it involves an engine overhaul as well as possible cylinder honing or replacement. I am an aircraft mechanic, not an automechanic so I'm not as familiar with auto engine repair procedures as I am with aircraft piston engines. One thing is certain, however... I am not thrilled about the prospect of finding a replacement to a paid off truck that has been more reliable than most people's vehicles that I've known.

I welcome prayer for clear direction in this matter.

No comments: